Samstag, 4. Januar 2014

First day in Capetown

Capetown is a very diverse city. There are so many things to see and do. You could stay there for weeks and you wouldn't see all of it. I want to give you some ideas to fill your days.

On your first day I recomend you to explore the city by foot. I always do that on the day I arrive in a new city. Or you take the Baz Bus day tour. There you get a lot of information about Capetown. 

On your second I suggest to visit robben island which is about half an hours boat drive on the coast of Capetown. You should book your trip in advance especially in high season. Take a tour on the prison island and talk to a former prisoner. 
After you got back to the old harbour you can visit the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront (V&A Waterfront). It's very touristic but a must see in Capetown. There are some good restaurants and a shopping mall.
There are some nice markets in Capetown. Green Market is in the city centre close to Long Street, It's the place to buy local arts and crafts and anything else. There is another market in Woodstock. I'm sorry I forgot the adress. Just ask locals they will know. This market only takes place on Saturday as far as I know. It's a food market were you can buy mostly organic food. It's not too big but very crowded. Around this market there are some shops and galleries. If you walk along the mainroad heading the city centre you will see lots of galleries and craftsmen with it's shops. It's a trendy district with a lot of young entreprises.
 It's a cultural melting pot. I guess it's the birthplace of so many ideas and plans.

If there is still time I mean if the sun is still shining go to the next store and buy a bottle of South African Wine. Then drive up to signal hill. It's the most popular spot to watch the sunset. Beware of darkness. Don't stay up to long.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen