Donnerstag, 13. November 2014

getting around safely

Curaçao is a small island but not as small as one of these maldivian islands... That means you can not explore the island by foot. Well you could but nobody would. There are different ways to get around the island. The roads in the city are not too bad but they get worse if you leave the city. 

Rental cars are about 30.-$ per day if you get any special deal. 
Curaçao has public transport. The buses are very cheap and run theoretically by a timetable. The main lines run as far as I understood once an hour and serve all the cities and villages. The thing is that in the evening the service is reduced. So if you want to go back to Willemstad where the central bus station is you should go early unless you won't go buy taxi back. 
A good alternative are the minibuses. They are a little more expensive than the normal buses. As the big buses the have their route. What I  really liked about them was that they would take you to your place. Just tell the driver your address and he will drop you there as long it is on his route. The minibus service is reduced from 21.00.
Taxis are quite expensive. Arrange a price before getting into the car. Normally you pay around 30-35$ from the airport to the town. 
Starting from 20.00 I think the fares for minibuses and taxis is around 25% higher. If you need a friendly and professional taxi driver do not hesitate to contact me. I met a cool and reliable taxi driver. He also does up to 8 hours island tours for a good price. 

Talking about security I can say that I never had problems. Well you should not go through the nasty parts of the city when it get's dark. People in general are very helpful and nice. Of course there are poor people but I did not see any beggars. The police is always around by bike or cars. At Mambo Beach and near the hotels are lots of securities with dogs. I felt safe during my trip. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen