Donnerstag, 6. November 2014

My first trip to the caribbean



Talking about the caribbeans most people think about Cuba, Dominican Republic and Jamaica so basically the Greater Antilles. But there are lots of other nice islands were the sun is shining too and even the weather is better. (From end of august until mid october there is the hurricane season in the caribbean islands. Well the sun is still shining but there is a change of having one of these huge hurricanes). The Netherlands Antilles are hardly ever affected by these hurricanes. Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao are protected by the trade winds which means that the wind is always blowing but it is also blowing away the bad weather.
As I was looking for a place to go for holidays I decided to go to Curaçao which is about 70 km north of Venezuela. It was a Dutch colony so Dutch is still spoken on the island.
Other languages are english and papiamento. A lot of people speak spanish as well.


You can reach this island very easy by plane from europe with KLM or Airberlin to name a few. Although the airport is tiny it has got good connections to Venezuela, the USA and other Caribbean Islands. Flights from europe are quite reasonable exept in october because there are holidays in the Netherlands. So KLM charges a lot more. KLM serves also Aruba and Sint Marten.

This time I decided to go for relaxing beach holidays so I did not see a lot of Curaçao. But what I saw was very nice. You never know but I think I will go back also to see Aruba and maybe Bonaire which are very close by. Nevertheless I would like to share my experiences with you.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen